Migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2: A Complete Guide
High-quality maintenance is essential for any successful eCommerce business. Your e-store needs to be fast, responsive and user-friendly so that your customers enjoy a seamless experience, without anything preventing them from completing their purchase.
Although Magento 1 is no longer supported since summer of 2019, some businesses haven’t migrated to a newer version yet. As of June 2020, only 62,000 websites (out of 186,000) upgraded to Magento 2. If you don’t want your store to be left behind, it is the right time to start a Magento 2 migration - and we will tell you how.
Why migrate to Magento 2?
Magento 2 has an entirely different architecture, which is way more reliable and scalable compared to Magento 1. It also comes with a set of new features that improve your e-store performance and can help manage it more efficiently. Full-page cache turned on by default, support for PHP 7, new layout elements and file structure, customized UI library are just a few of the benefits you can get after migrating to Magento 2.
If you’re still in two minds about upgrading your store, you should know that the company ended support for Magento 1, which means your website will eventually become slow and hard-to-use. In short, migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is simply a must for all businesses striving to attract clients online.
To-Dos before Magento 2 migration
Once you’ve made the decision to migrate your website from Magento 1 to Magento 2, you should think of how to approach it right. Here is a set of steps that you need to take to avoid problems such as data loss or corrupted functionality.
- First, analyze your store and get rid of unnecessary components.
- Back up your website with files, databases and folders.
- It is not recommended to use your main website for the Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration process. Create a copy of your store and use it instead.
- Migrate all the necessary data from Magento 1 website.
- Install the latest version of Magento 2 on the same hosting server where your website is based.
When you’re done with all these steps, it is the time to move to Magento migration.
Creating a Magento migration plan
There are dozens of documents on the net telling you how to migrate Magento 1 to Magento 2. However, to prevent your eCommerce store from crashing, just follow Official Magento Migration Documentation. Below is a set of steps that will help you get the things done quickly and efficiently.
Step 1 Theme Migration
This is the first pitfall you might face when migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2. Magento 1 themes cannot be exported or moved to your new website. Thus, it’s a good idea to create a custom one or install the one from Magento Marketplace. Mementia, a company that specializes in Magento 2 migration, has vast experience in this field and can help you create a theme that will appeal to your customers.
Step 2 Extension Migration
The next step is to look at the list of extensions installed on your website and identify which ones you need. There might be some outdated extensions, which you can easily delete to avoid overloading your e-store with unnecessary tools.
After that, go to Magento Marketplace and check if these extensions have Magento 2 versions. Most of them won’t be compatible with your new Magento 2 website. That’s why you will need to install all of them on your upgraded store or find a substitute if some of your extensions don’t have Magento 2 versions.
Step 3 Migration of Customized Elements
If your website has any custom elements, make sure you migrate them from Magento1 to Magento 2. You can do it either independently or using Magento 2 migration services. Sometimes it can be required to rewrite or a part of code to ensure your new store will perform well on the upgraded version.
Step 4 Data Migration
The last but not the least is data migration, which involves moving all the store’s information about products, services and customers to a new version. This data is highly valuable as it provides essential insights into how your eCommerce business is doing. That’s why you should be careful and check all settings before getting down to the Magento migration process.
The most reliable and safest way to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is to use Magento 2 Data Migration tool. Here are the recommendations on how to install it and successfully move your e-store data to a new website:
- Install Data Migration Tool. Here you’ll find a detailed guide on how to do it.
- Check if the Data Migration Tool and Magento versions match. For instance, if you want to upgrade your store to Magento 2.3, you should use Data Migration Tool 2.3.
- Next, configure Magento Data Migration Tool. Here you should look at the mapping and configuration files and create a config.xml file in the relevant directory. Magento website offers detailed guidelines for configuring the migration process.
- Before you move all your data from the Magento 1 store to Magento 2, you should migrate settings to ensure your website will function properly. For this, navigate to your Magento 2 root directory via SSH terminal and run the following command:
php bin/magento migrate:settings --reset <path to your config.xml>
If you see a success message on the screen, the operation has been completed.
- The final step is to migrate your e-store data to an upgraded website. You should execute the following CLI command to initiate the process data migration:
php bin/magento migrate:data --reset <path to your config.xml>
Reach out to Mementia to have a seamless Magento 2 migration!
We’ve expanded on all the nitty-gritty details of migrating your e-store from Magento 1 to Magento 2. The process is pretty straightforward but you should approach it right to avoid data loss and other issues. Mementia, your trusted eCommerce partner, is always here to support you. Contact us and our web development experts will make sure your migration process runs smoothly!